Mesothelioma is a fatal cancer disease that is caused by exposure to the toxic mineral asbestos. Asbestos is a naturally occurring silicate mineral composed of long and thin fibrous crystals. These fibers are resistant to heat and electricity, making them ideal for constructing numerous consumer products and building structures. Asbestos was widely used as a consumer element for the construction of different buildings and their aspects. However, the one major drawback of its toxicity led it to discontinue its usage in 2002. Asbestos is still active in many old buildings, leaving many people exposed to the toxic mineral despite the ban.
Meanwhile, suppose you and any of your loved ones are diagnosed with mesothelioma cancer. In that case, there are numerous facts you need to learn to navigate through challenging times. It is important to note that there is a challenging time ahead of you after diagnosing the disease. However, incorporating some elements can help you ease your pain and stress after the life-bending diagnosis of mesothelioma. It is where mesothelioma case claims come in handy to compensate for the damages done after the asbestos exposure. Suppose you or your loved ones have been exposed to asbestos. In that case, you can file a lawsuit for the negligence of employers and product liability theory. You can get immediate consultation from any mesothelioma law firm to discuss the harm done and proceed with the case for achieving compensation. However, there are some factors that you should keep in mind before going for a lawsuit. With that said, let’s discuss things everyone should know about the mesothelioma claims.
1. What Exactly is a Mesothelioma Claim?
As said earlier, mesothelioma is a fatal type of cancer that is caused by exposure to asbestos. Meanwhile, suppose you or your loved one is exposed to asbestos. In that case, you can take legal action to recover the damages through compensation. The affected individual can ask for compensation from their old employers through a compensation lawsuit or the personal trust fund.
While filing the claim, individuals will need to provide the time and location of the exposure to the toxic mineral. Moreover, the lawsuit will also demand the details for diagnosis and the products that lead to asbestos exposure. It is important to note that asbestos is mostly banned across the states. However, there are still many building structures left that were used asbestos-related products since the 20th century. For that instance, affected individuals can file mesothelioma claims to compensate for their treatment after diagnosing deadly cancer.
2. Types of Mesothelioma Claims
Another essential thing that filers must know is the three types of mesothelioma claims. The two most common types of mesothelioma claims include personal injury lawsuits and wrongful death lawsuits. However, most old asbestos-manufacturing companies have established a trust fund to compensate the victims and their families. You can discuss the details for your claims with the professional mesothelioma attorney to resolve the lawsuit.
● Personal Injury Lawsuit: A person diagnosed with mesothelioma can file the claim as a personal injury lawsuit. In this claim, the victims can achieve monetary compensation for the medical expenses and income loss. Seeing yourself or your loved ones suffering in mesothelioma’s life or death situation is indeed hard to describe. However, filing a personal injury lawsuit can help the victim and the family during the mesothelioma prognosis.
● Wrongful Death Claims: Wrongful death claims are also a part of mesothelioma cases. It involves compensation for the victim’s family after the death from mesothelioma cancer. It means that the victim’s families can access compensation after the death of their loved ones from the malignant mesothelioma. The families can file lawsuit claims against the negligence of the manufacturers and employers. Meanwhile, the juries, after the assessment of the evidence, can punish by providing the victim’s family access to monetary compensation.
● Trust Fund Claim: Trust fund claim is relatively different from the other types of claims. These are the funds set up by the old liability companies to compensate the victims exposed to asbestos and later diagnosed with mesothelioma.
3. Deadlines to File the Claim
Meanwhile, mesothelioma monetary compensation will vary with each type of claim. Authorities have established a statute of limitations for filing the lawsuits. These limitations involve deadlines for filing the lawsuits and achieve the compensation claims. In this case, you will need a professional mesothelioma attorney to walk through the deadlines and other limitations for filing the claim. Remember, as soon as you or your loved one is diagnosed with mesothelioma; the clock starts ticking for filing the lawsuit and recover the damages claim.
Mesothelioma claims require a steady and step-by-step process to recover your compensation. It is worth noting that you are eligible to take legal action after the diagnosis of mesothelioma. Moreover, you will also face hurdles and challenges to receive the compensation you deserve. Fortunately, specialized mesothelioma lawyers can significantly improve each stage of the lawsuit to help you to get justice for your loved ones.