Slab leaks are one of the most menacing problems that people could face. Many homeowners have not even heard of a slab leak. The lack of knowledge can lead to certain misunderstandings when the situation prevails. Unchecked slab leaks can destroy homes.
Let us start by explaining what a slab leak is and how is it caused.
What Exactly is a Slab Leak?
A leak that occurs under the foundation of your house is called a slab leak. A slab leak is a term used to describe a leak that has developed in the copper water lines running below the concrete foundation of your home. A slab leak that is left unchecked for too long can lead to collateral damage and can make your home’s foundation collapse.
What Causes a Slab Leak?
1. Pre-Damage or Poor Installation: Some materials can get a little messed up when building a home. Similarly, if the pipes experience any damage, it will inevitably cause problems in the long run. Furthermore, if the pipes are not appropriately installed since the beginning, there is a high possibility they will not function properly with a house on top of them.
2. Corrosion: As the pipes are underground, it is obvious they will come in contact with the soil. A reaction in the pipes and the minerals that surround the sol can cause some leaks. The chemical reactions, happening, are enough to destroy the pipe over time. Small holes might form that leads to further damage.
3. Expansion and Abrasion: Pipes naturally contract and expand as water flows through them. Hot water pipes, in particular, tend to contract and grow as the temperature changes. This causes the boiler to grind against everything in its surroundings. If the pipes are in a location where they are exposed to other pipes and concrete, they could rub against each other and eventually wear off leading to abrasion.
4. Ground/Foundation Shift: When heaving and shifting of soil under the concrete slab occurs, the movements put a large amount of pressure on the slab. However, the pipes are durable and can withstand a lot of stuff; too much pressure can cause them to leak.
Why are Slab Leaks Dangerous?
By now, you must have understood the importance of these leaks. Let me give a few reasons for you to determine how dangerous they are:
1. Health Issues
Any health issue is not to be taken easily. One of the potential dangers of slab leaks is that water keeps dripping and can stand for so long and can remain undetected. This stagnant water can become breeding ground for mold and other parasites.
Mold growth can slowly affect your home and environment without you not even knowing it. When you breathe in the mold for more extended periods, it can lead to many respiratory problems. Gradually with time, the mold will lead to rotting and many serious problems.
The dampness and mold can easily lead to problems like coughing and wheezing, asthma attacks and fever, etc. Children and infants could be more prone to diseases. After the respiratory tract is infected, the germs could easily lead to other parts of the body, as well.
2. Structural Damage
Slab leaks are meant to damage the integrity of your home’s foundation. The concrete and steel cannot stop this as the water pressure created results in foundation shifts. This can lead to the cracking and collapsing of the house.
The foundation damage can be severe and costly, and the older it gets, the more time is required to fix it. A structurally damaged home also becomes unfit to live in. If you see any sign of slab leak, it is very important to get it fixed. If you are from Carrollton, you can search for slab leak repair Carrollton. You’ll come across a number of companies offering this service. Choose the one that has more positive review
3. Financial Consequences
Not all insurance companies have a policy that covers leaks in the house. Whether it is a slab leak or any other sort of hole, they will not pay for the expenses. This can lead to repairing being expensive. Repairing of slab leaks is costly.
Furthermore, if the house collapses or the problems become worse, the expenses can be excessively high.
4. Damage to Your Yard
Sometimes the leaks are from grounds under the yard. The leaks can damage the pools, the plants, they can flood the grass, and the concrete walkways can be destroyed.
The entire greenery and beauty of the house can be destroyed due to this. This can also result in the price of the property going down if you wish to sell it.
5. Foul Odors and Ruined Floors
The leaks often cause the home to have nasty odors and contaminate the environment. Moreover, when the water seeps into the structure of the house, it will further damage the tiles and create puddles on the floor. If the floor is carpeted, then consider it ruined.
Some Signs of Slab Leak
The dangers and causes are mentioned above. We can help you a little more by jotting down some signs to detect a slab leak.
- Sudden spikes in the water bill.
- There is always the sound of running water, even when pipes are not in use.
- Damp and moist floors.
- The pressure of water is low when used.
- Foul odors in the home.
- Stagnant water near your home and inside.
- You observe mold growing at a rapid pace.
These are some signs that will surely help you in detecting slab leaks for sure. These signs will help you to discover a leak early, and you can save yourself from the expenditure. Always take a slab leak seriously and immediately call for a plumber when you feel there is a slab leak in your house.
The answer to the question is yes; slab leaks are hazardous for you and your home. We have enlisted some of the fundamental reasons why slab leaks are dangerous and what are its causes. If we have left out some information, do let us know in the comments section below.