It’s no secret that AC repairs can be expensive, and when they start to become bigger problems than anticipated, they become even more costly. Fortunately, there are some simple steps you can take to stop small AC repairs from spiraling out of control in Tomball, TX. In this article, we’ll go over 10 tips that will help you avoid expensive repair bills and keep your AC running properly.
- Check Your Air Filter Regularly – A dirty air filter is the number one cause of AC breakdowns and other related issues requiring professional AC repair in Tomball, TX. To keep your system running efficiently, check your air filter once a month during the peak cooling season (May – September). If it’s clogged with dust or dirt, replace it immediately.
- Get Professional Maintenance – Just like your car, your AC needs regular maintenance to keep it running in top condition. Have a professional HVAC technician come by and inspect your system at least twice a year. This will help identify potential problems before they become bigger issues that require expensive repairs.
- Keep Coils Clean – The evaporator coils of your AC unit tend to collect dirt over time, which can reduce their efficiency and cause breakdowns. Keeping them clean is essential for optimal performance and requires the use of specialized equipment and tools. A professional AC repair service can do this for you as part of their regular maintenance checkups.
- Keep Vents Clear – Blocked vents in your house can cause your AC to overwork and increase energy costs. Make sure all of the vents in your home are free from obstructions and that they are open year-round.
- Check for Leaks – Refrigerant leaks can be a huge problem when it comes to AC repair in Tomball, TX. Make sure to check periodically for any signs of refrigerant leakages, such as a decrease in cooling or puddles of liquid around the unit itself. If you suspect there might be a leak, call an HVAC technician right away.
- Insulate Pipes – The pipes connecting your outdoor AC unit to your indoor air handler are not insulated by default. Insulating them helps reduce temperature fluctuations and can help extend the life of your system.
- Keep Exterior Unit Free From Debris – The exterior AC unit should not be blocked by shrubs, trees, or other debris. Make sure to keep it clear of obstructions and trim any nearby vegetation regularly.
- Don’t Overwork Your System – You don’t need to run your AC at full blast all day long when it’s hot outside. Setting the thermostat a few degrees higher during peak cooling hours can reduce energy costs while still keeping you comfortable in your home.
- Check For Water Leaks – Evaporator coils are prone to forming small leaks which can cause water damage if left unchecked for too long. Make sure to keep an eye out for any signs of leaks and have them fixed as soon as possible.
- Replace Your Unit When Needed – If your AC system is more than 10-15 years old, it might be time to replace it with a new, energy-efficient model. This will help reduce your monthly utility bills and save you money in the long run.
Following these 10 tips can go a long way toward preventing small AC repairs from becoming bigger issues in Tomball, TX. If you find yourself having problems with your unit, don’t hesitate to call a professional for assistance. They’ll be able to diagnose the problem quickly and give you advice on the best course of action for resolving it. AC replacement in Tomball, TX will be more expensive than regular maintenance, but it is worth the investment if you want to keep your home comfortable and free from costly repairs.
AC Repair Or AC Replacement In Tomball, TX: Which Is Better?
The answer to this question depends on the problem you are having with your unit. If it’s a minor issue that can be fixed relatively easily, then AC repair may be the better option. However, if the system is beyond repair and requires extensive repairs or is too old to function efficiently, then AC replacement might be the only way to go. Ultimately, it comes down to what makes the most sense for you in terms of cost and convenience. Speak with an experienced HVAC professional today to find out which solution is best for you. Contact Crossway Mechanical at 832-250-6191 to learn more or book an appointment!